Thursday, May 29, 2008

don't it make my brown eyes blue?

When I was little I took baton lessons. I also took tap. Tap never did stick with me but baton stuck with me for a number of years. We would learn short routines and eventually we would be required to perform at old folks homes. I was just a little girl, maybe 5 or 6 and we would go to these funny smelling places full of old, sick people. Picture the place that Grandpa Simpson lives and you would be pretty close. The only routine I remember was a sort of sexy routine to the tune The Alley Cat Song, or something like that. I mean the old folks always seemed pretty happy to see us but I think anything would have been a good diversion. It didn't really look like a fun place to be. I remember feeling a lot of anxiety about performing there, I really wanted to do a good job and remember the routines. Looking back I think the anxiety came from the bleak, scary living conditions I witnessed.
The only other time we performed was in the Chilliwack Country Living Parade. That's where the above photo was taken. I wore many costumes for these parades but my favourite was the one pictured above. I don't have to tell you why do I? I mean the skirt was made of white shimmy fringe and there were sequins AND a cowgirl hat!! I remember how hard it was to march and remember the routine for several miles and I remember that it almost always rained. In retrospect I think it was a great training ground for the performances I do now. When I am on stage these days I still want to do a good job even if the audience smells funny and doesn't always understand why I am there. It's my duty. I just want to be a good little cowgirl. I just want to entertain you and if I have to wear a cute little outfit to do it. So be it.
Do you remember your first "performance"?

1 comment:

CHRISSANDRA UNGER said...

GREAT post! You're so cute! I remember taking baton lessons too - didn't like ti that much tho! ;)

How cool is this?

How cool is this? Boomchix on sale right here! This widget can be easily added to any html website or blog, facebook and/or myspace page to help promote our debut album "Surprise Surprize". There are image links on the top which allows the user to securely buy and download single mp3's or the whole CD, join our mailing list and/or get the embed code. Pretty cool - check it out!